Sixteen people have been taken to hospital after a train struck a railway buffer on the outskirts of Sydney, police say.
The accident happened at the end of a railway line in Richmond, in the city’s north-west, about 10:00 local time on Monday (23:00 Sunday GMT).
A 21-year-old man suffered a broken leg. Another 15 people were treated for minor injuries, paramedics said.
Police said they were investigating why the train did not stop.
“These people are very lucky – it was chaos – things could have been much, much worse,” said Supt Paul Turner, from New South Wales Ambulance.
One witness who saw the aftermath of the crash said it was a “very distressing scene”.
“[There were] very chaotic scenes of emergency services trying to get people off the platform,” Broady Graham told the BBC.
The train had been slowing down to stop when the accident happened, police said.
Sydney Trains chief executive Howard Collins told reporters the train had “hit the buffers pretty hard”, but had not derailed.
Hundreds of mourners have attended a funeral for Australian actress Jessica Falkholt, who died following a car crash that also killed her family.
The actress, a former star of TV soap Home and Away, was remembered at a church service in Sydney on Monday.
Falkholt, 29, died in hospital last week, more than three weeks after the accident on a New South Wales highway.
A funeral for her sister Annabelle, 21, father Lars, 69, and mother Vivian, 60, had been held in the same church.
“Beautiful Jess, you made us proud and you were a rising star,” her uncle, Paul Ponticello, said on Monday, the Australian Broadcasting Corp reported.
“Shine bright, you will always be remembered in our hearts forever.”
Australian police are still investigating the car crash, which also killed the driver of another vehicle, 50-year-old Craig Whitall.
A funeral notice published in the Sydney Morning Herald on Saturday said Falkholt would be “deeply missed” by her family and friends.
A funeral notice for Jessica Falkholt in a Sydney newspaper
Falkholt played Hope Morrison for 16 episodes on Home and Away before leaving the show in November 2016.
Last week, Channel Seven, the soap’s broadcaster, said Falkholt’s “shining talent” had been respected by all of her her colleagues on the show.
Co-stars have paid tribute on social media since the accident on Boxing Day.
Falkholt also filmed a role for the US film Harmony, which is set for release this year.
Australian police say they are investigating new leads in the case of three children who went missing more than 50 years ago.
The disappearance of the Beaumont children has been one of Australia’s most enduring mysteries.
Police say they will dig on the site of a factory in Adelaide, South Australia, once owned by a man who was investigated over the disappearances.
It follows information passed on to police by broadcaster Channel Seven.
The Beaumont children – Jane, nine, Arnna, seven, and Grant, four – vanished after visiting Glenelg beach on 26 January, 1966.
South Australia Police (Sapol) say they plan to excavate part of a factory site in the Adelaide suburb of North Plympton, not far from the beach.
Investigators have carried out excavations at the site before but new information has now come to light.
“Channel Seven has made available to Sapol results of geophysical investigations which in conjunction with fresh information from witnesses has led police to examine a new area at the rear of a factory,” police said, quoted by the Australian Associated Press.
At the time of the disappearances, the site was owned by a businessman who was investigated by police but never named as a suspect. He died in 2004.
The South Australian government has offered a A$1m (£576,000) reward for information that helps solve the case.
The Australian government has announced a A$60m (£34m; $48m) plan to help improve the health of the Great Barrier Reef.
The reef suffered mass coral bleaching events in 2016 and 2017, which scientists said were a result of warmer ocean temperatures.
It has also endured damage from crown-of-thorns starfish and cyclones.
The new money, to be spent in four ways, will particularly target starfish and soil erosion.
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said there was a “strong link” between the coral-eating species and run-off from water pollution.
“While [the reef] is facing increasing threats, we intend to remain leaders in reef management,” he said.
The new measures include spending:
- A$36m on farmers to restore vegetation around reef catchments, offsetting erosion;
- A$10m for an “all-out assault” on crown-of-thorns starfish by increasing culling vessels;
- A$6m on science agencies to develop ways to make coral more “resilient”;
- A$4m to employ more field officers to warn about bleaching.
It is part of a commitment by federal and state governments to spend A$2bn on improving the reef over the next decade.
“We want to ensure its future for the benefit of all Australians, particularly those whose livelihood depends on the reef,” the government said in a statement on Monday.
However, some environmental groups criticised the package for not focusing more on climate change.
“[This] is the kind of tinkering around the edges approach that has failed in the past and does nothing to address the cause of devastating coral bleaching”, Greenpeace said in a statement.
Others reiterated their opposition to a proposed coal mine, which they say would further damage the reef.
But Mr Turnbull dismissed what he called “doomsaying” on the issue, telling reporters on Monday that it was important to “take up this challenge positively”.
The reef, located in the Coral Sea off the coast of Queensland, spans an area of 344,400 sq km (133,000 sq mi) and is the largest living structure on Earth.
More money has been pledged to cull the Crown of Thorns starfish
It contributes an estimate A$6.4bn a year to the Australian economy.
The UN says it is the “most biodiverse” of all the World Heritage sites, and of “enormous scientific and intrinsic importance”.