Pope Francis has celebrated an open-air Mass for more than a million people in the Peruvian capital, Lima at the end of his South American tour.
Earlier on Sunday, he warned that the region was in a deep crisis because of corruption.
The Pope described politics as “more sick than well”.
He also highlighted the fact that three recent Peruvian presidents have been jailed or charged with corruption.
In the final hours of his six-day visit to Chile and Peru, he pointed to the impact of Odebrecht, a Brazilian construction company that has admitted paying billions of dollars in bribes to politicians across the region.
- The first Latin American to lead the Roman Catholic Church
- Why Pope Francis’s trip to Chile was a challenge
- Cross-country bribery reaches new levels at Brazil’s Odebrecht
“Politics is in crisis, very much in crisis in Latin America,” he said.
Peru’s present leader, Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, was nearly impeached in December because he did not reveal that a company he used to run did business with Odebrecht.
Earlier in his visit to Peru, Pope Francis became the first pope to visit the Amazon basin in more than 30 years.
Speaking to thousands of members of indigenous communities in the Madre de Dios region, he defended their way of life and spoke out against environmental degradation.
He said big business and “consumerist greed” could not be allowed to destroy a natural habitat vital for the whole world.
The Catholic Church’s record on sexual abuse was a strong issue in both countries.
In Chile, Pope Francis infuriated victims families by saying criticism of a bishop he appointed who is accused of protecting a paedophile was “all slander”.
The Venezuelan authorities have allowed a rebel police officer who was killed by the security forces to be buried.
Oscar Pérez was labelled a “terrorist” by the government after he threw grenades at government buildings from a helicopter he stole last June.
He then went on the run but was tracked down by the authorities and killed after a nine-hour long siege near the capital, Caracas, on 15 January.
Only two relatives were allowed to witness Sunday’s early morning burial.
Supporters and friends later came to the grave at a cemetery in Caracas to lay flowers and pay their respects.
Authorities initially refused to release the body to family members, leading to days of delays and uncertainty about whether the funeral would be allowed to take place.
But the body was eventually released and buried.
- Oscar Pérez: Terrorist or freedom fighter?
Pérez had been a member of the forensic police (known as the CICPC by its initials in Spanish) for 15 years before he became Venezuela’s most talked-about man.
He managed to elude the security forces for almost seven months, and made at least one appearance at an opposition rally where people cheered and took selfies with him.
Oscar Pérez released a dramatic video on social media shortly before he was killed
Before launching his helicopter attack, Oscar Pérez recorded a video message in which he appeared in front of a group of masked and armed men.
The video emerged at the height of anti-government street protests and he said he was fighting against President Nicolás Maduro’s “tyranny” and his “narco-dictatorship.”
Following the attack, President Maduro declared him a terrorist and said he was attempting to mount a coup.
At least 13 people were killed when the bus they were travelling in was swept into a ravine by a landslide.
The accident happened in south-east Colombia on the road leading from the city of Tumaco to Pasto after particularly heavy rainfall.
Seven men, five women and a newborn died as 5,000 cubic metres (175,000 cubic feet) of soil came loose.
Landslides are common in Colombia and roads are often cut by tonnes of earth sliding down from hillsides.
The 16-seat bus picked up passengers en route, officials said. It is therefore not clear if there could be more victims than the 13 who have so far been found.
Emergency workers said they had been able to recover 13 bodies from the mud
Last year, more than 250 people were killed in mudslides in the town of Mocoa when the river of the same name overflowed.
Ecuador’s President Lenín Moreno has described Wikileaks founder Julian Assange as an “inherited problem” in a television interview.
Mr Assange has been living inside the Ecuadorean embassy in London since June 2012, when he claimed political asylum.
He had been wanted on assault claims in Sweden, which have been dropped, but says he fears extradition to the US.
The UK recently refused to recognise Mr Assange as a diplomatic agent, which would have provided him with immunity.
‘More than a nuisance’
President Moreno said Mr Assange had created “more than a nuisance” for his government.
He has in the past warned the Wikileaks founder not to interfere in Ecuadorean politics or “that of nations that are our friends”.
His warning followed Mr Assange’s public support for the independence campaign in Catalonia.
Mr Assange has also had at least one meeting with former UKIP leader Nigel Farage, although Mr Farage has dismissed reports that his contact with Mr Assange was more frequent.
The Wikileaks founder was also reprimanded for interfering in the 2016 US election after publishing hacked emails from the campaign team of Hillary Clinton.
Mr Assange was granted asylum by President Moreno’s predecessor in office, Rafael Correa.
- Is Assange interfering in US election?
- Timeline of the Julian Assange case
- 18 revelations from Wikileaks’ hacked Clinton emails
Mr Moreno’s government has said that it will maintain Mr Assange’s asylum. But it has also sought ways for him to leave the embassy without risking arrest for breaching his bail conditions and possible extradition to the US over the 2010 publication of classified information by Wikileaks.
In April, US Attorney General Jeff Sessions said that arresting Mr Assange was a “priority”.
While he has not been charged with any offence so far, Mr Assange fears that the US authorities have prepared a sealed indictment ordering his arrest.
In December, Mr Assange was granted Ecuadorean citizenship.
Mr Assange posted a picture of himself wearing an Ecuadorean football shirt after he was granted citizenship
Earlier this month, Ecuadorean Foreign Minister María Fernanda Espinosa asked the UK to recognise Mr Assange as a diplomatic agent with a view to him being provided with diplomatic immunity.
However, that move was rejected by the UK authorities who said that Mr Assange should leave the embassy and “face justice”.
Speaking on Sunday, President Moreno said he was disappointed by the British government’s response.
“This would have been a good result, unfortunately, things did not turn out as the foreign ministry planned and so the problem still exists.”
The president said Ecuador would seek help from “important people” to solve the problem.
Pope Francis has apologised for remarks he made last week in Chile defending a bishop accused of covering up sexual abuse.
He said he realised his words hurt many, but repeated his belief that Chilean Bishop Juan Barros was innocent.
Francis was speaking to journalists on board a plane flying back to Rome.
On Thursday, he had said that victims who had accused Bishop Barros were committing slander.
The Pope was openly criticised by Cardinal Sean O’Malley of Boston, who said he left victims of sexual abuse committed by priests feeling abandoned.
“I apologise to them if I hurt them without realising it, but it was a wound that I inflicted without meaning to,” said the Pope on Monday, quoted by Reuters news agency. “It pains me very much.”
Bishop Barros has not been accused of abuse, but of being present when another priest, Fernando Karadima, molested young boys.
A rare apology
Analysis by James Reynolds, BBC Rome correspondent
It is unusual for a Pope to apologise for his own words. But he clearly felt that he had to make up for his abrupt dismissal of allegations made by victims of clerical sexual abuse in Chile.
The victims had accused a Chilean Bishop, Juan Barros, of covering up abuse committed by a fellow priest.
During his trip to Chile, the Pope described these accusations as a slander, for which there was not a shred of evidence.
The Pope has now apologised for his choice of words. He said that he understood that by essentially daring victims to bring him proof, it came off as a slap in the face.
However, the Pope continued to insist that an investigation had shown that there was no evidence to support the charges levelled against Bishop Barros.
What is the controversy about?
In 2010, Father Karadima was publicly accused of molesting several teenaged boys in the capital, Santiago, starting in the 1980s.
After the Vatican found him guilty, he was sentenced to a lifetime of “penance and prayer”.
He never faced criminal prosecution in Chile as too much time had passed, but the judge who heard victims’ testimony in a year-long investigation described them as “truthful and reliable”.
The Pope has been criticised for appointing Bishop Barros as bishop of Osorno, in south-central Chile, in 2015. The ordination ceremony had to be cut short over protests in the cathedral.
How did this affect his latest trip?
The Pope was greeted with protests in Santiago, with demonstrators insisting the bishop should not hold his role.
Francis also met victims of sexual abuse by priests in the country. He cried with them and said he felt “pain and shame” over the scandal.
Some of the victims said saying sorry was no longer enough, and they want him to take action.